Friday, April 20, 2012

The Gypsy

Over the past twelve months or so as I talked about my plans to leave the “regular Life” and go off on my adventure many of my friends questioned my sanity to say the least! 

Last night as the end of my winter journey comes to an end, I reflected on those thoughts and the many, many people who questioned me…but until you have seen the wild, lived the wild and had the opportunity to discover natures wonder and live within it…it is very hard to understand… 

The Gypsy
A name fondly given me by my good friend Steve Carter this winter during my travels

A long days drive had me weary and as the sun slowly set and the evening twilight replaced the sunlight, I looked for a spot to stop and spend a quiet evening reflecting on this past 6 months journey. As I drove along through the mountains of Montana with snow capped peaks on one side and high mountain lakes on the other the spot to stop materialized right in front of me…a quick U-turn and I was overlooking a glass calm moonlit lake with mountains in the background…as I pulled in to the overlook I startled a herd of deer who were moving down towards the lake to drink and feed in the rich grassland that surrounded the lake… After I parked I left the door open to my humble little home so I could continue to enjoy nature’s majesty. Dinner was cooked, the heat from the stove warmed my house and I watched as the lake grew even calmer…a quiet cocktail enjoying the view and reflecting on this past years journey I was soon ready for bed, I heard the coyotes yelping in the distance, this had been a fine evening. 

As I climbed in bed I heard noises outside which sounded like footsteps…wondering if someone else was invading my territory I quickly rose and looked outside to discover a large heard of Elk moving through the crusted snow right outside my door, they too were heading to the lake for a drink of water and some fresh growth of meadow grass. 

This morning rather than be awoken by the sounds of a city, the sirens, the traffic, the clock radio the god forsaken Television…my alarm clock was the sounds of migrating geese and the lonely call of a bald eagle…the Eagle call, a warm reminder that my adventure continues as my Alaska home beckons me once again. 





And I thought…they ask why I have done this?? 

More later

Capt Jim
Professor aka The Gypsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment