Friday, January 16, 2015

Love it when a Plan comes together!

Several years ago I took a trip down from Kalispell towards Salt Lake City and went through Yellowstone, it was late in the season, cold and the park was getting ready to shut down for the winter, I swore then that I needed to come back to this wonderful place and record my adventures with my camera.

Last year I applied for a summer job at Yellowstone as a fishing guide or tour boat guide and all the positions were filled by returning people, which says something for wanting to work there, if people keep returning it must be good! I really wanted to spend last summer there, but it just did not work out. I accepted the position at Lake Powell and we all know that did not work out as planned, instead I had to punt too late to find anything and had a wonderful summer in Kalispell, Montana and some great adventures with my good friend Jim Flinchbaugh!!

My plan for this year was to return to Yes Bay for one more season, however, I had some concerns about another FULL season at the Lodge...and always on the search for different and unique opportunities kept looking. Well, it is the decision time of the year to finalize plans for the upcoming summer. With 99% of the guides returning to Alaska and some major changes going on up there, it was questionable whether there would be a spot.

I dug through some old emails from last year and contacted the person back at Yellowstone, in hopes to contact early enough to hopefully land a spot there as a fishing guide. Yesterday I had a great phone interview and last evening got an email with an offer for a position and I have accepted!

SUMMER 2015 will be in YELLOWSTONE!!!

I will be running a fishing boat on Yellowstone Lake and I am really excited about the opportunity to see a new area and fish for different species and enjoy my summer in a wonderful National Park and put some serious miles on my new camera and lens on the wildlife that abounds there!

There are buffalo! These are pictures from my brief visit in 2012!





I expect traffic jams as this park is heavily visited!



Spending more time at the beautiful Mammoth Hot Springs!



And I intend to Capture Old Faithful many, many times...and plenty of big animal wildlife with my new lens!







So my Spring Schedule is set and it looks something like this!

1. Remain here in 29 Palms until late March - very early April.
2. Depart here and enjoy a leisurely trip to Salt Lake City
3. Park the camper and fly to Ohio for my Gallery showing at 9 Muses Art Gallery in Ohio on the 24th of April - enjoy the opening then head back to Salt Lake and get the truck and trailer.
4. Quick trip in the truck and trailer to Kalispell and put the trailer to bed for the summer.
5. Pack the truck up with fishing gear and stuff to live for the summer in the dorms in Yellowstone and arrive there in early-May!

Stay tuned for more details and a great summer! And my Ohio friends better plan to have their asses at 9 Muses on the 24th of April for the opening!

Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest and Alaska!


1 comment:

  1. That's great news, Jim. Makes us wish we could fit in a return visit this summer, but our schedule is full. I'm sure you're going to have a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to your blog updates and lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete