Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Blog Update - January 22nd - New Truck - almost!!

I have been shopping for a new bigger more powerful truck to pull the RV...the trip to Alaska this past year took a toll on the old small block F-150...plus I really want to get a little bigger trailer and I was maxed out with the current truck as a tow vehicle....the engine in the current F-150 is strong and causing no problems, but I think that if I tow much more the next thing to go will be the tranny, it is fine now, but just have "that Feeling"!!

I looked hard in Kalispell and really hard in Salt Lake City on my way here, but was focused on a diesel for the pulling power, but they are pricey and even though an older one may be available and the engine would be fine, but the ones I looked at the truck was falling apart around the drive train...so I started looking at tow capacities of the various V-8's from Ford, Chevy and Dodge, but leaning to either a Chevy or Ford...well I decided to get more serious looking here in S. California and sometimes things just happen for a reason.

Last Friday I decided to go to the movie, wanted to see Lone Survivor - great movie by the way. I had read the book and wanted to compare, well it is every bit as good as the book....but I timed it perfectly to get to the theater just about showtime, but I missed the entrance to the theater and had to turn around and go back...well while turning around I pulled right in next to a small car lot and they had a very clean looking F-250...so I quick jumped out and did a quick once-over and figured I would go back after the movie...well of course after the movie it was closed.

I had enough info to ponder and do a little research and liked what I found...it is a BIG BLOCK Ford V-10. I know a bunch of people with large motorhomes with the V-10, I had not seen one in a pick-up, it is also a manual transmission, which really doesn't bother me and with 95% of my miles, highway miles it really makes no difference. So I spent the weekend doing some extensive research and price shopping and quickly realized it was a good buy...so Monday I went gave it a real close going over and a test drive...only stalled it twice...got to get back in the manual shifter practice. Lots of power to spare and should not even know my little 5th wheel is back there!! Mileage is not a huge issue as I get shitty mileage now straining the little F-150 and I expect I will get better mileage than now until I get a bigger trailer anyway!

So today I went and cut a deal, waiting for some money to be transferred and should own it officially by the end of the week.

Here are a few pics - more when it is in the driveway!!











By the way - I love white cars - only thing I have owned until the F-150 for the past 20 years or so...

Sometimes things are meant to be...

Stay tuned!!



Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest and Alaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment