Saturday, July 25, 2015

Northfork and Glacier Update

As most of you know - My plans called for a lengthy trip from Kalispell to Big Creek Campground on the North Fork of the Flathead River for a vacation. My plan was to head up on the 15th of July and stay until the 23rd or so - with Pat Millhoff joining me on the 20th for a few days...promised to be a great trip.

I did not have reservations at the campground, although my friends did, so it was a risk to find a good walk-up site nearby where my friends had reservations. I was lucky, my first choice was site 11 and lo and behold when I got there it was available - I quickly backed in and secured the spot for my entire stay! Luck was with me...

Site 11!



My friends had a site for one nite the evening of the 15th then they were moving to their reserved site for the remainder of their time on the River...my good friend Jim Flinchbaugh was not arriving until the 16th and his reserved site was site 1 - directly across from my chosen site - other friends Tim and Deb Adair were in site 13 - two down from me on the river - so we were all set to be within hailing distance of each other to enjoy the week.

Camp Chef Grills were ready to go!



My place to relax!



My good friend Jim Flinchbaugh!



Campground Visitors!







The Last shot of this little guy!



I was sitting in my chair relaxing and this little guy posed on the rock near my chair - I grabbed the shot and put the camera down on the chair beside me - this guy leaped off the rock and headed across an open area, I heard a huge swoosh and a huge Owl swooped down and made a meal of the little guy - of course by the time I grabbed my camera it was over - but the above portrait is his last picture in life!

I picked Millhoff up on Monday the 20th and we made the rough ride to the Campground - we had a huge welcome dinner planned and we arrived in plenty of time for introductions and a relaxing afternoon and a great dinner.

The dinner was a shrimp boil - potatoes, smoked sausage, corn and shrimp...it was amazing!



Night two Dinner for Millhoff was an Alaskan Favorite - Dynamite Halibut - there was also some Northern Pike and Cod in there - I only had two pieces of Halibut left...it works well with any mild white fish!



Pat and I made several day trips into Glacier NP while our friends floated the river and fished, we met back at camp in the evenings for meals and conversation. The weather was not real conducive to good floating with some very strong winds which made the float a struggle and the fishing was not that great!

Pat and I drove North to a small settlement and bakery - Polebridge Montana.



Took some pics around the "Village"!





Then we drove into Glacier and went to Lake McDonald and the Lodge at Lake McDonald.



Let Millhoff use my back-up Camera...



The next day we headed up the "Going to the Sun" Highway for the views....



On the TOP!



Then Millhoff convinced me to hike a trail that was purported to be EASY by Tim and Deb Adair....2 miles each way - and it was a BITCH!! Damn near killed me...

But I paused long enough near the beginning to take a pic of Millhoff!!



The trip was worth the hike - Avalanche Lake!



The trip down was much easier thank God - but it was a long afternoon and we both were tired - back to camp and decided to stay one more day - since Flincbaugh had another night reserved.

The next day we went back to Polebridge where Millhoff enjoyed another Huckleberry Bear Claw and we bought some wonderful home made sandwiches for lunch as we were DRIVING to a remote lake - Bowman Lake - 12 miles of rough narrow bumpy dirt road....my kind of hiking! That is why I have a 4 wheel drive truck!

Bowman Lake a beautiful spot in this world!





We broke camp Friday morning and made the 30 mile trip back to my friends house where I am camping, enjoyed a hot shower and got the camper set back in its spot...ready for a few more days of travel.

Stay tuned I have some more adventures planned!

Capt. Jim - "The Wanderer"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest and Alaska!


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful area and some really nice shoots to show it off.

    ReplyDelete