Thursday, November 5, 2015

Blog Update - Trip South Change of plans!

I am now in my winter home in Twentynine Palms RV Resort - got here on Tuesday afternoon and have spent the past two days getting settled in my new spot - my old spot had someone in it, so I took another and like it better.

Change of Plans!

When I left Salt Lake City on the 29th of October I drove straight to Moab Utah for a planned stay of two nights - I ended up extending that stay an additional night so I could visit Canyonlands and Arches for more pictures.

The plan was to then drive to Mesa Verde in Colorado for a couple nights, however had a small problem with the truck which I needed to repair - a coil pack on the number one cylinder went bad and I had a terrible miss and the gas mileage went to crap and I limped into Monticello Utah and stopped at the local auto parts store to investigate, actually parked at the visitor center across the street. While making repairs I met some people who had just come from Mesa Verde and they informed me the commercial campgrounds were all closed for the season and the concessionaire in Mesa Verde NP had also closed and the campground was a mess. With my delay and a long look at the weather report on the cold front coming, I decided to skip Mesa Verde and head to Monument Valley...so I headed further South and drove through Monument Valley with the intention of staying overnight. When I arrived at the Native American Campground I discovered is was a dirt parking lot with no hook-ups which was fine until I discovered that they wanted $40.00 per night to park there...I tried trading beads but they are wise to that trick after New York...so I told them No Thanks and drove on, deciding to head on down to Winslow AZ and adjust from there and get more details on the cold front which was coming and the possibility of snow.

Here are some pictures from my trip!

This is from Salt Lake!



This is Skyline Arch in Arches NP



This is Sand Dune Arch!



Canyonlands NP



Arches NP





South Window Arch!



Monument Valley



Standin' on the Corner in Winslow Arizona!



The real reason I cut my trip a little short! First pic is mine..the second one is from yesterday and Mesa Verde is even higher and there was also snow in Flagstaff.





Stay tuned for another winter in Joshua Tree and here at the Park - good to be back with my friends here!

Capt. Jim - "The Wanderer"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest and Alaska!


No comments:

Post a Comment