Thursday, April 11, 2013

Long Trip North - Day 1 and 2! April 9th and 10th

I delayed my departure from Kingman Arizona by one day due to Mother Nature, the weather report called for a severe wind warning and I decided that a one or two day delay was worthwhile. I am glad I did, the wind blew 60 mph in Kingman and even worse in sections of Nevada and Utah with some dust storms and generally bad weather.

So, I screwed up and decided to stay with my same route even though I had lost a day. So I left Kingman, past Las Vegas to RT 93 and made a left and headed North through Eastern Nevada....MISTAKE!! It was still very windy, and a head wind for the most part so gas mileage went to shit. Plus when I got to my proposed destination, Great Basin National Park, it was freezing cold wind blowing at about 40 mph and driving snow! Only to find out the only campground in the park that was open was the lower campground and quite frankly after a drive through it did not seem appealing. Not to be deterred, I headed to the little town outside of the park gate - Baker! Campground and bar and restaurant there was closed as well as everything else. So a little disappointed, I continued East to Delta Utah for a quick dinner then decided that I may as well just head to I-15, which I should have stayed on 7 hours before. So I drove another 23 miles to Scipio and a real nice Flying J truck stop, pulled around back with a few other RV's and went to sleep.

Woke up Wednesday morning realizing I had driven 732 miles on Tuesday and also realized it was extremely cold out, but the wind had died down and it was clear and sunny! Easy 110 mile drive from Scipio to my friends house in Salt Lake, no wind, beautiful drive...

Tuesdays drive through Eastern Nevada was just about the most bring drive I had ever been on, Kansas had more scenery!

There was a very interesting Railroad station in Caliente NV worth a couple shots.





Then as I approached Great Basin - I came across this miserable sight!



I am currently in Salt Lake City until tomorrow and take a couple day drive to Kalispell, will be there until next Friday the 19th then on towards Alaska!

Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest

5 comments:

  1. Following your trip north with great interest. That wind farm does ruin the view, doesn't it? Fortunately, it looks like that technology may be already dying a slow death.

    One note: I think you accidently put April on some of the dates for your latest entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is April the last time I looked....isn't it? It feels like February, but I just looked again and I see it as April - today is the 14th of April....

      Delete
  2. Some of your our titles have April 30, etc., in them. I assume they we written on March 30.

    As far as feeling like February, not here. Looks like we'll top 90 agin, but I see some are still getting snow and the news folks were wearing long winter coats in NY C this morning. The weather has ben crazy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look for an update later today - Snow this morning in Kalispell!! Not real cold though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fixed the dates - I get confused easily at my tender age!! Thanks Dave!

    ReplyDelete