Friday, June 7, 2013

What's the Plan - June 7th 2013.

Well, at least I have a plan. I have had several job offers, but none real appealing. Boat jobs are very hard to find as most have already been filled for this season.

I was all set to make a very leisurely trip back down to the lower 48 with "time to smell the roses" so to speak this time around and land in Montana and spend the rest of my summer along the river fishing and hanging out with my good friend Jim Flinchbaugh, but another opportunity got in the way, at least a short term delay anyway.

Today I hope to head up to Fairbanks, do a little shopping for the trip and get myself refreshed. Then I am heading down to a place I swore I would return to - Haines, Alaska. It involves about a 742 mile drive from Cantwell and back through Canada as far as Haines Junction. I have been invited to work as a camp host for about a month which will give me time to explore the area and take a few pictures. I was in Haines several years ago while on a cruise and swore I would return someday and when this opportunity came up it was just too hard to refuse. I will also take the opportunity to visit Skagway and hopefully get some face time with any available openings for this season or just as importantly for next season. I love this area of Alaska and would love to spend a season on it's waters. My ideal position would be either a photography tour or a whale boat / sightseeing tour...both type tours are prevalent in Skagway due to the huge cruise ship presence.

No pictures today but expect a few on my drive North later tonight.

Just wanting to keep people updated as to my plans.



Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest

2 comments:

  1. I loved Haines. We did a few family reunions there. They have the coolest coffee shop...cant remember the name but I think there is only one in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure I will find it Loni....When I was here a few years ago I spent one full day in Haines on a photography tour and I fell in love with the place. The campground I will be working at it right on the water and beautiful, one of the nicest campgrounds in Alaska...which helped me make my decision.

    Pics will follow for sure....

    ReplyDelete