Sunday, May 4, 2014

Well it has been a busy week and yesterday was a pain in the ass!!! What should have been an exciting and rewarding day turned into a challenge!

Friday I hitched up and took the trailer to the waste dump and emptied the tanks and rinsed them out good. Sandy (City) has a wonderful clean and well designed dump station for RV's....as soon as I was done with that I headed to the tire place and got 5 new tires for the trailer, so it is now ready to travel.

Saturday was a shopping day with a trip to Costco for some bulk meat for at least part of my summer at Lake Powell. Got that accomplished and then it was time for my reward! I have been saving for a portable satellite system and camping world had them on sale, however they were out of the receivers, so I had found one for the same price from Amazon and it was delivered on Friday...so Saturday I only had to get the antenna (Dish), the model is called a Tailgater and is totally portable and automatic to find the satellites! I also wanted to pick up some tank cleaner for the waste tanks as my gauges were gunked up and not reading correctly.

So after returning to Steve's I unpacked the Tailgater and was anxious to get it set up and contact Dish Network and get the unit functional....but decided to add the tank cleaner first - dumped half the bottle down the kitchen sink and then headed for the toilet, while filling the bowl I discovered that the water fill valve was spraying water from the back of the toilet...retreated to my toolbox for a mirror so I could see where the water was coming from and lo and behold the plastic intake valve had a pretty serious crack in it...slip joint pliers and removed the water connection and the valve literally fell apart in my hand - so much for longevity the thing is only 20 years old???

Pulled the toilet and then off to camping world to see if they had a new valve although it was questionable on being able to repair since the place the valve mounted was also broken so a little over a hundred dollars later, I left with a new toilet, a taller one which would be more comfortable.

Returned to the trailer and proceeded to attempt to install and lo and behold the footprint is a little larger so got the sawsall out and removed a small partition behind the toilet which covered the pipes and it fit, this also allowed me to pull the water pipe up to compensate for the higher toilet. After some deliberating and time on my hands and knees, soon the new toilet was installed and functional, right in time for Happy Hour!! And it was needed! So a couple cocktails then some nice grilled Alaska Halibut for my going away dinner with Steve! All is Good - albeit a little behind schedule, but Good!

However my goal of hooking up the sat dish and testing its operation was delayed until today! This morning early I un-packaged all the meat I bought yesterday and Steve broke out his food saver vacuum packer and I individually broke the large Costco packages into reasonable portions and vacuum sealed them all for the freezer!

Now a few more things on my to do list and hopefully on the road by mid-day or so! Still wanting to do the dish before I leave!

Heading to a town near Capital Reef NP for a couple days of exploring and taking some pictures, then by Friday I will be at Bullfrog ready to start my summer job!

Here is the route - shortened to to delays!



I want to spend a couple days exploring Capital Reef and then hit Goblin Valley for at least a day or so then head down to Bullfrog! Plan to be in Bullfrog by Friday end of day!

Stay Tuned for my travel updates!



Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest and Alaska!



No comments:

Post a Comment