Wednesday, May 1, 2013

April 30th - A long Days Travel - fairly uneventful!!

After the fuel episode I was determined to make a better plan and to not count on the Milepost ads that say open all year, but rather to call and confirm ahead of my departure from a safe area.

So my plan for yesterday was to fuel up three times and also to have the extra tanks of fuel on board before leaving Fort Nelson, so after hitching up and filling with water, I headed to an auto parts store and bought two fuel tanks, then to a gas station and filled the tanks and the truck, then went to a bank ATM and got some more Canadian Cash.

The travel plan was to hop scotch the confirmed fuel stops to Llaird River Hot Springs. Spend some time there and depending on weather maybe dry camp and spend the night after a good soaking in the springs and maybe another in the morning.

The drive was fairly uneventful although the roads were a little snow covered in spots and at one point pretty icey, so had to go into 4 wheel drive and slow way down. Stopped for fuel in Toad River, filled up. Then made another stop at Northern Rockies Inn but the gauge was still on full and had plenty to get to the next confirmed fuel spot! So on I went towards the hot springs. Pulled in a heavy snow covered road to the hot springs and parked in the parking lot, anxious to get in and soak. Au Contra're!

As I walked to the back of the trailer towards the hot spring trail, I noticed the propane storage door was open. I tried to close it and it was sprung, so got out some tools and re-aligned the door only to realize the latch was broken. Think for a minute about an easy fix and dig out my drill and hunt for a big sheet metal screw to screw the door shut. It is a fairly quick fix once I dig out the tools and find a screw that would suffice. After fixing, I am putting away the drill bit and drop it under the trailer, as I am retrieving it, I see a long wire dragging under the RV. Trace it back to the drivers side trailer brake, seems it used to run across the trailer to the passenger side brake. Well the wire is shot and all frayed and the other end on the passenger side is dragging as well. Rather than take a chance that it would end up wrapped around a wheel or something, back in for wire cutters and crawl in the dirty parking lot slush and cut off both wires at the wheel connections. So no more trailer brakes. Not really a big deal, just have to allow a little more room to stop. They will get fixed properly this summer, with the wires encased in a piece of PVC Pipe like it should have been, seems the slush and snow and mud etc built up on the wire and the weight made it break. See the front landing gear on the RV to get an idea of the build-up.

On to some pics....Ready to leave Fort Nelson



Extra Fuel Tanks!



Landing Gear



Propane door and fix!





Llaird Hot Springs





Some pics from the road!





Arrival in Watson Lake!







So I got out of my wet jeans from making the repairs and put on my bathing suit and thankfully my sweat pants and walked the 16 miles (300 yards or so) over the snow packed board walk to the Hot Spring. Had towel and was ready to soak. There is a nice changing room and showers to rinse off after soaking. There were about 8 or 9 people there and I spent about an hour or so until it started snowing pretty hard and headed back to the camper. Not knowing how long the snow would last or how bad it may get, I made a good choice to drive on to Watson Lake. Pulled in and stopped at the Sign Post Forest then checked in to the "Downtown Campground".

So of you may already know, as soon as I got in and downloaded the camera and prepared to do this blog entry, all of a sudden I felt terrible...cold sweats and severe stomach cramps - like real friggin pain, so hit the toilet and quickly realized I was sick as a dog. Decided to eat a sandwich and get in bed....which I did. Feel better today, but it is snowing even more and road conditions are reported as hazardous, so it is laundry day and plan for tomorrow to head for Whitehorse. Cable TV with Fox News so I am happy!


Stay Tuned for the next leg of my journey!



Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest

No comments:

Post a Comment