Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 7th Alaska Travel Update - Fairbanks!

After sitting for 3 nights in Tok, Alaska I left yesterday for the North Pole and Fairbanks. Weather was clear and sunny and unlike the previous three days the roads were clear and dry. Made the 200 miles or so in good time and got great gas mileage over 12 MPG!!

Stopped at the North Pole Christmas House and made some gift purchases for my Grand Nieces and Nephew...they will be getting a nice letter from Santa and I put a good word in for them!

Drove on to Fairbanks and arrived in time to fill up the gas tank, empty the waste tanks and fill up the water tank thanks to Sourdough Fuel stop, the only place in town with an open dump station and water fill! So I bought my gas there and there was no charge to fill the water or empty the waste!

No campgrounds open one I visited had a front end loader clearing out sites they said they would open around the 24th of May! So like a few others, I retreated to the Wal-Mart parking lot and bunked down for the night. Today was shopping day to refill the freezer and cupboards after the long trip. Phoned my job in Cantwell and he suggested to spend another night as the roads were sloppy they got about 8 inches of snow. So I am hanging out in Fairbanks. Two projects tomorrow, find a car wash to spray down the truck and RV and get my propane topped off, then head down to Cantwell and arrive in the afternoon to get set up for the summer!

I snapped a few shots along the way yesterday! So on with the pictures!

This is the campground in Tok, Alaska!







On the road between Tok and Delta Junction!





Santa's Reindeer at North Pole, Alaska!





The long journey is only about 3 or 4 hours of driving time from being finished, 150 miles to go! It has been quite the experience and I am anxious for the summer season to start and experience my new job and location!

Thanks to all who have followed my journey!

Stay tuned for an update of my arrival and throughout the summers adventures!



Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest

No comments:

Post a Comment