Saturday, May 18, 2013

Winter Weather Advisory!! May 18th, 2013 - Shit!

So, I spend the winter in Arizona and they experience the coldest winter in 60 years and then I head to Alaska and we are experiencing the coldest and snowiest Spring in over 60 years. What have I done wrong.

Today is is blowing about 30 knots and snowing and the temperature is about 22 degrees, with a wind chill of near zero! We had 4 tours booked for today, but we canceled due to the road conditions and projected comfort level in the River Lodge and at the Dog Sled Camp, hard to get a stove hot enough to heat either one, with the tent of course being nearly impossible to heat in this wind.

So I am sitting in the trailer with my heat on high and listening to the wind rattle the windows and move the blinds when it blows real hard. Not a pretty picture. The trailer is warm but the wind whistling through the windows makes me plan to have thermopane windows on the next RV and has me thinking about a nice casserole to fix for dinner, the oven will help keep the trailer toasty

Since we can't put the boats on the river due to ice we have been doing a split presentation, the guests stop at the River Lodge for the Fur and Trapping presentation and some hot cocoa and fry bread, then they get back on the bus and head down to the Dog Camp for a quick ride with the dog team then a presentation down there. It has been working great until this winter storm decided to pass through. Weather reports say much warmer next week, so we are hopeful this is the last Arctic Blast until September!

Some Pics...

Scott one of the other Captains doing the Fur and Trapping presentation!



Leaving yesterday afternoon and me with only my small camera we saw a nice herd of Caribou across the river from the camp. Not the best pic with that little camera, I am NOT leaving my big camera at camp anymore!

Caribou!



The pussy willow tree outside my Camper!



More of some of the view around here!



Yesterday with the snowy and cold weather I decided to get out for a short drive and took my camera. Found some caribou along side the road and shot a couple pictures....it was more to "get out of the house" than a photo safari!

But here they are!







Stay Tuned more as the season progresses!



Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest

No comments:

Post a Comment