Saturday, September 21, 2013

Blog Update - Saturday September 21st - Back in Montana

Needless to say it was an eventful departure from Yes Bay a couple days ago. My buddy Tommy and I were scheduled to fly out of the Lodge together on Thursday the 18th, however weather predictions for some severe wind changed our plans and cut our fishing a little short on Wednesday. So it was hurry back to the Lodge get my gear off of my boat and get my stuff in the room packed up and fly in to Ketchikan the afternoon of Wednesday the 17th. Weather predictions were right on and caused a little chaos at the Lodge for a few days, planes were pulled out of the water and no flights on Thursday and Friday from the Lodge.

But Tommy and I got to Ketchikan on Wednesday early evening checked in to a hotel and enjoyed a very nice dinner together in town. Weather was miserable with steady winds at 35 MPH plus and gust to over 60! And torrential rain! So it was a good thing we left when we did. Tom's flight on Thursday at 1:00 pm departed Ketchikan without a hitch. It is always suggested to avoid the early morning flight from Ketchikan during the month of September as weather can be an flight early Friday morning also departed Ketchikan on time, but it was a thrill ride up to about 25000 feet with lots of severe turbulence there were some excited people on the flight who have not experienced a rough take-off in 35 - 40 knots of wind, but the worst part was over in about 5 minutes and 20 minutes into the flight it was smooth sailing all the way to Seattle. I made an easy connection and landed in Kalispell on time at about 3:30 Friday afternoon. Now doing laundry and getting all the crap I unpacked to go to Alaska all packed back away and getting the trailer ready to travel. No firm winter plans just yet, but Mesa AZ looks to be my best offer so far which begins November 1st so will do some traveling and sightseeing between now and then, may venture back to Ohio for our 45th High School Class reunion and in the meantime continue to shop for a newer, bigger truck.

A little recap on my two weeks of fishing at Yes Bay Lodge and a couple special pics. A couple pics are repeats from previous posts but tough shit, I like them and it is MY BLOG!

My first morning at the Lodge was amazing!

One of my favorite little Bays near the Lodge!

My first real day out fishing with Heidi who is the best server in the Lodge and a great fisher woman! We also released a few other nice silvers, since the Lodge freezer was about full!

Early morning guest fish only for two hours...

First guests that were part of the large group. I had two guests but only one stayed down for the picture! Morning catch!

Afternoon catch!

Second morning fishing - with the highlight of my stay this year a nice 30 plus pound King Salmon!

Me with the fish! (Remember my blog!)

The afternoon catch!

Third day morning another limit of nice Silvers!

Early morning fish before the group left - only fished 2 hours! Bad pic with the light

My best friend Tom Halinski arrived and we fished a few hours after he arrived!

The next morning in the driving rain...only managed one nice silver!

We did a little better in the afternoon - nice silver and a decent sized King!

3rd morning!


Last morning!

Short afternoon - flew out to avoid the bad weather!

All in all my friend Tommy got nearly 50 pounds of nice salmon although the halibut refused to cooperate, not that we didn't try!! Pounded the bottom to a froth but no success! But the fish are just a bonus - spending time out fishing with good friends are what it is all about, with wonderful Alaska scenery to boot!

Look for updates on my winter plans, hopefully finalized here in the next few days!

Thanks for following along!!

Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest and Alaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment