Monday, September 23, 2013

Blog Update - September 23, 2013 - What a Difference a Day Makes!

Amazing what can transpire in just a matter of a day or so...My weekend in Kalispell was full of projects. First was to get laundry completed and everything I took to Alaska cleaned and put away, scrub foul weather gear, clean fishing reels and cold weather clothes repacked away. This is actually a time consuming project in very little space, but luckily while I was gone to Alaska my good friend Jim Flinchbaugh had re-welded my luggage rack on the back of the RV so it was a matter of packing up a couple action packers and re-securing them to the rack. Plus I defrosted the refrigerator and got the RV ready to travel.

During this time I was also online checking for winter jobs and deciding whether I had time to head to Ohio for my 45th Class reunion and visit family. I decided what the hell, you only live once, checked air fares and got a good deal from Salt Lake to Ohio and booked my flights. Ironically about this same time while checking the Workamper web site I saw a location advertising for winter help and sent them an email. Literally a few minutes later my phone rang and a conversation started about coming to the desert in Southern California for the winter. We discussed my capabilities and lo and behold they have a need for some new photography and web design work as well as work around the campground. It is located in 29 Palms California, 2 miles from Joshua Tree National Park which has been on my bucket list now for a couple years....Yesterday we finalized a deal and that is my future winter location, I am excited about the opportunity and looking forward to a winter in the Southern California sunshine.

So, just to add a picture and a thought....below is the last picture I took at Yes Bay this year a wonderful moonrise over the bay from the Lodge - I sit here wondering if this will be the last time I take a picture of the Bay. I enjoyed my short stint there at seasons end this year and I am hoping to be able to return again next year, maybe along the same terms for a short stint...not sure yet if a full season is in these old bones.

Yes Bay Moonrise!



So for you date followers - here is my new plan and hopefully the final plan for this fall and winter.

Depart Kalispell around the end of the month or at least before the snow flies. Head for Salt Lake City with a stop or two along the way.

Scheduled to fly from Salt Lake to Ohio on October 14th - returning to Salt lake on the 25th - attending my class reunion the weekend of the 18th!

Upon my return from Ohio - pack up the camper and take a leisurely drive enjoying some scenery and photo ops to 29 palms California planning to arrive there by the weekend of the 28th - 29th of October!

Look for some fantastic photos along the way and plenty more all winter long.



Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest and Alaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment