Sunday, September 29, 2013

Blog Update - September 29th - Fall Trip South in Detail

I love it when a plan comes together, just hope the weather cooperates and there is some nice sunshine for some decent pictures and some great fishing would be a plus.

I have spent the past couple days getting the rolling home ready to travel. Laundry is finished and everything is in it's place just a couple grocery items to pick-up - truck is fueled and ready to go. I have finalized my travel plans and schedule as below, to arrive at my winter job in Southern California by Nov 1. I am excited to get started.



Here is the details (of course always subject to change with weather and photo ops)

1. Depart Kalispell on Tuesday the 1st or Wednesday the 2nd weather dependent!

2. This will be a short leg to Ronan very near the Bison Range, one of my favorite photo ops. Spend a full day there hopefully getting some great Antelope and Bison pics.

3. Depart Ronan and the Bison Range and head for Dillon Montana with plans to arrive there around Sunday the 6th - May stop on the way there in Bannick the first Capital of Montana and now a State Park and Ghost town, very neat been there before.





4. Spend most of the week in Dillon getting some leisure time fishing with some good friends from Salt Lake City - spending some serious time fishing the Beaverhead River. And of course taking a picture or two around the ranch and Dillon.

5. Plan to arrive in Salt Lake City on Friday the 11th of October - at my good friends house in Sandy Utah.

6. Fly to Ohio on Monday the 14th of October. Visiting family and attending my 45th Class Reunion and saying hello to a bunch of people who I have not seen for many years! Should be fun.

7. Return from Ohio on Friday the 25th of October.

The following steps through Utah are really up in the air, it is a section of road through Utah I have made in the past and really want to try to squeeze it in on my way South this year, but it may have to be on my way North in the Spring. So much depends on weather and timing

8. Depart Salt lake City on Sunday the 27th of October - Drive Salt Lake City to Goblin Valley State Park - overnight there!

9. Drive from Goblin Valley to Torrey Utah - passing through Capital Reef National Park - an astounding place to visit and photograph - stopping where needed for photo ops. and maybe overnight somewhere along the way.

10. From Torrey or wherever I stop drive the famous Rt 12 through Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument and on to Bryce Canyon NP - with an overnight in there somewhere which should put me here around the 29th of October.

11. Now depending on timing make a quick drive from Bryce or Zion depending on where I am to 29 Palms CA. Planning t arrive there by the 31st of November.

Total trip as planned looks to be about 1634 miles. Should be a great fall trip!

Anyway - Mans best laid plans are always subject to change - so stay tuned for highlights and adjustments!



Capt. Jim - "The Gypsy"

Traveling and photographing the Southwest and Alaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment