Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June 2 - Unusual Visitor!

June 2 - I spent the better part of today getting boats set up with the new guides. Fishing has started in earnest - little slow on the salmon side but we have brought in some nice halibut the past two days and also some nice rockfish! So at least we can eat!!

Salmon are heading this way...the Ketchikan Salmon derby has had a bunch of fish on the dock, but most have been caught on the far side of town, so they still have a ways to go to get here, but we expect them any day now. Lots of killer whales and humpback whales all around, we have been seeing them everyday!

Something different happened today....



















Today a boat stopped by the Lodge and dropped off someone from a logging and power cable
company which is working running an electrical connection between two dams high in the mountains about 15 miles from the Lodge - They are tasked with


connecting the two mountain damns which generate power for several of the small towns in SE Alaska.




Their job is to cut a path and set poles to run high power line across the mountains connecting the two power plants. So they have tree cutters and lineman who get flown in by helicopter to work everyday, then return to a barge which is anchored in one of the coves to live and eat and sleep.

The boat had collected some crab from crab traps and was returning one of their crew back to the barge with the crab for a crab dinner for the working crew. They asked if they could drop a person off at out dock and have a helicopter come and pick him up...of course we said that would be fine, but in made an unusual event, we have float planes arrive all the time, but rarely a helicopter...of course I had to run out and cover the event...The work these guys do should be on the Discovery channel...I have seen them pick people up and fly them on the end of a cable up to the top of a hill for them to work for the day, what a way to travel to work, hanging on the end of a cable from the bottom of a helicopter!!


Enjoy,

Capt Jim

2 comments:

  1. Jim-

    My name is Brandon Bolin. Great work on the Blog! I am making my 2nd trip to Yes Bay July 9-14 with 2 guys from last year, and I'm brining 3 new guys! I look forward to chatting with you again!

    I fished with Kicker last year (July 26-30). See you in about a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to your blog just when I was surfing on this topic. I am happy that I found your blog and information I wanted.

    ReplyDelete